Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Once Upon A Sketch January challenge

Well, the hot weather seems to have returned here to Victoria - just in time for going back to school. DS is starting Year 12 this year and turns 18 at the end of the year.
I created this layout  for the Once Upon a Sketch January challenge., which was to use the sketch provided and to journal about lessons learnt. The biggest lesson I've had to learn is to let go and give my son some independence. Very hard to do but necessary as hopefully he will be off to university next year.
Things did not go as planned with this layout. I started off with some distress paint but it wasn’t coming out very well so I squeezed it. Unfortunately, I squeezed too hard and the top and half the contents came flying out all over my page. Luckily, I had my craft mat out so I scraped off as much as I could onto the craft mat and added some water and swiped this piece of cardstock over it. Ended up loving the look of it (probably more than my original would have looked like). Anyway I added a bit of texture using some Viva Decor graphite texture paste and Crafters Workshop little dots stencil and added a bit of stamping using a Kaisercraft background stamp.
IMG_9094

Here are some close ups. I used a FWAB Luke Flourish in black and some FWAB adhesive black pearls on the cogs and key hole.
IMG_9097

IMG_9096
IMG_9095
And here's a close up showing some of my journalling which I have tucked in behind the photo.

And here is the sketch that my layout was based on



Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of your day.
Judithxx

6 comments:

  1. Judith ... I think that there will always be milestones with our kids and each time they hit one they take a little piece of them with you. I have just had the same with my son getting married and becoming a dad. It is one of the hardest lessons we have to learn. You have created a lovely masculine and slightly grungy layout for this boy of yours. Love all the chipboard element and the paint. Thank you for playing along with us at OUAS this month :) Please load your layout onto our OUAS FB page for another chance to win.... :D
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Once-Upon-A-Sketch/150044095058422?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  2. A super background , love the colors! Your journaling theme is great and so is the picture of your "tough"looking son. We all know that look from teenage boys! :) Thanks for joining in at Once Upon A Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Judith...this works soooo well for a boy page, & you're right - that 'letting go' is NOT easy....thank goodness for scrappy 'accidents'....I mean, you got a STUNNING page out of it!!! And if you haven’t already done so, you can link this to our Once Upon A…Sketch Facebook Page for a chance at our special FB prize! Thanks for joining us at OUAS:):):) [feels weird saying that!!!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness your back ground is stunning, really worked out well.. love the grungy male feel to this layout, and yes that is a hard lesson of life to learn for mums...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous, masculine layout, Judith!! Don't you just love happy accidents/mistakes!! That's a lesson we've had to learn over the past several years as our children have grown up and moved out on their own. Your son is such a handsome young man!! Thanks for sharing your hidden journaling and for joining us for the January Once Upon A…Sketch Challenge and for sharing your layout on our Facebook page! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete